Friday, January 29, 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes with Instant Fudgy Frosting

Fudgy Frosted Cucake Solo

It's been quite awhile since I made cupcakes and that just ain't right.

Any of you who have been following this blog know of my cupcake love.

It's fierce.

Cupcakes make people happy. I dare you to offer someone one and not see a smile on their face. I just doesn't happen. People love cupcakes and that's a fact.

Since we've needed a bit of cheering up around here lately, I thought cupcakes would be the perfect treat, so I whipped up a batch for my Mom's birthday last Sunday to go along with her birthday cake.

I used one of my favorite cupcake batters Billy's Vanilla Vanilla Cupcakes. I topped it with a Smitten Kitchen recipe for Instant Fudgy Frosting. The frosting recipe makes a lot. It could frost a layer cake easily. I piled it on high for a really traditional looking cupcake. No piping bag needed.

Moist vanilla, vanilla cupcakes with rich, not too sweet frosting.

Fudgy Frosted Cucake Trio1

Instant Fudgy Frosting
recipe from Smitten Kitchen
Printable recipe
Makes 5 cups
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled.
4 ½ cups confectioners sugar
3 sticks, unsalted butter at room temp (yup I said 3)
6 tablespoons half & half or whole milk
1-tablespoon vanilla extract.

Place all ingredients in a food processor a pulse to incorporate, then process until frosting is smooth. If you need to firm it up a bit, just stick it in the fridge for 20 mins or so.

Fudgy Frosted Cucake CU Blue

7 comments:

Doreen Frost said...

Lisa, You are so right..i've never seen anyone refuse a cup cake!!!

I'm going to make these today as it's bitter, bitter cold here and I always like to bake on such a day :)

Hugs, Doreen

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Such beautiful cupcakes! The only thing better than a delicious cupcake is one with sprinkles.

Marie Allen said...

I need to make cupcakes for David's birthday on monday. Those look yummy!

katie said...

I have been having the worst chocolate craving lately! These cupcake looks beautiful. I almost always make plain yellow cake but I have been really wanting to make vanilla cake. Thanks for the recommendation!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

That's it, I'm biting the bullet and buying a KA. This is totally off topic, but I just looked at the recipe and said "Enough comparing...just buy it." Now, I just have to choose a color.

I'll surely be trying those vanilla vanilla cupcakes and frosting!

Anonymous said...

oh the chocolate and those little bits of color just made me smile!

Irene said...

So CUTE!!! I'm drooling over all these lovely cupcakes on the blogosphere right now. You guys are all giving me a wicked chocolate craving!