Friday, October 29, 2010

Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake - my 2nd not so pretty (but darned tasty) meal.

Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake

I'm on an ugly food run.

I've been making some butt-ugly food lately.

It's ok. Ugly food needs love too.

Sometimes the ugliest food is the tastiest, and this casserole is no exception.

Go grab a rotisserie chicken. My local BJ's Wholesale Club now carries organic rotisserie chicken. Yippee! Clean all the meat off the chicken and your meal is half way done. Really. This is a super simple casserole that you can make any weeknight.

Layer on some sour cream, enchilada sauce and cheese. Repeat. Pop in the oven. Done!

How simple is that?


Chicken Enchilada Bake

4 ½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I shredded the whole chicken and it was just enough)
1 can (28oz) enchilada sauce
1 container (8oz) sour cream
6 corn tortillas (6inch) cut into 1-½ inch pieces
4 cups (16oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese

In a greased 2-quart casserole dish layer half of the chicken, enchilada sauce, sour cream and cheese. (Start with a layer of tortilla strips on the bottom first) I dolloped on the sour cream and then spread it gently over the chicken. Repeat layers.

Cover and bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before eating.

Easy Chicken Enchilada Bake1

So simple you can make it when you run home at 5:30pm from a crazy day at work, (if you had already took all the chicken off the bones the day before, like I did) throw this together, and have a happy family, with full bellies tell you how yummy supper was.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate when I make something that tastes delicious but isn't photogenic. This still looks like it tastes wonderful!

Amy said...

I made the most amazing apple/parsnip soup the other day and could not, for the life of me, get a decent picture of it. It didn't even soup like soup. I was so sad all day :( - Lisa, your pictures are awesome. I always wish my pictures looked as good as yours...even the ones you consider ugly.

Melissa said...

I'm with Ame - love your photos. And love this bake. But I know what you mean. I am hesitating to post the black bean soup I made the other day. Blugh.

TKW said...

Some food is just damn ugly--pot roast? Check. Lentil soup? Check. Bean dip? Check. This didn't look as ugly as those things, and it's a crowd-pleaser,to boot.

Denise Michaels - Adventurous Foodie said...

Everyone needs a little ugly food now and then, don't we? It's impossible for it all to be gorgeous. There are some amazingly tasty dishes out there the just aren't that fabulous to look at.

I made some ugly food earlier this week and blogged about it, too.

Unknown said...

i think it looks delicious! adding it to my favorites :)

Cyndy said...

Lisa, doesn't matter what you make, I know it's going to be good. Love this kind of casserole and make it myself and layer it. Love your photos!

Katie said...

Ugly food often tastes the best. :)

Got the World on a Ping said...

Looks beautiful to me!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great. If its got cheese on top its good no matter what is underneath.