Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Muffins - only 3 ingredients!

Pumpkin spice muffins 1

Ok, ok the title of this post may be misleading. I actually used 4 ingredients when I made these, so that may put some of you off!

No really, these muffins are ridiculously easy to make.

Don't blink or you may miss the recipe...ya ready?

Pumpkin Spice Muffins
1 box (18.25 oz) spice cake mix
1-15oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup water
handful of chocolate chips (optional, but highly recommended)

Throw all the ingredients in a bowl. Mix them up by hand, no electric mixer needed. Place into lined muffins pan and fill 3/4 of the way full. Bake at 400 for approximately 20 minutes. I added in the handful of chocolate chips after the batter was mixed. No need to measure, just throw them in. Delicious!


Pumpkin spice muffins 3

I was shocked when Evan's friend, who is the pickiest eater on earth, gobbled one down...and then another.

Next time I'm going to make a chocolate version, by replacing the spice cake mix with a chocolate one.

Sounds good doesn't it?

Pumpkin spice muffins

15 comments:

Katie said...

I love making these! I usually just use the spice cake mix and pumpkin. I've never added the water before. Does it just make the batter easier to stir together?

Charlene said...

That was funny. Three ingredients!!?!?!! Then I see 1 is a box of mix. SMILE Made me laugh.

TKW said...

Sounds simple enough for even the most baking-challenged!

Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Kat - yes the water does make it easier to stir.

Charlene - sometimes you just gotta use the ole cax mix, lol.

TKW - I agree. My kids could make these, now that's saying something!

Unknown said...

They are really pretty too

Stefanie said...

I've made these for years - so good and a very popular request by my gf all year round! I add dried cranberries and pecans when I have them on hand - creates a delicious chunkier muffin!

Monica H said...

I've seen a similar recipe around that used just the can of pumpkin and a yellow cake mix- no water.

I actually have spice cake mix and that sounds so much better to me. I will try these!

THanks!

Amanda said...

Mmm, these look yummy. I love simple recipes like this that only take a few ingredients. I'll be saving this recipe for later!

Anonymous said...

I love anything pumpkin. I am going to try making these.

Kathy Gilbert

oneordinaryday said...

Love the short ingredient list! I'm having trouble viewing the photos, so I guess I'll just have to make them myself and see what they look like. :)

Monica H said...

I made these this afternoon but used white chocolate chips and they were delicious, moist and very pumpkin-y! I will definitely be making these again.

Not sure how many muffins you got since the recipe didn't say, but I got 18 muffins.

Jan said...

OK - I've been craving pumpkin lately so had to try these! Grand experiment!! Instead of the box of cake I used Betty Crocker "Fiber One- Premium Muffin Mix - Apple Cinnamon" (thinking maybe the "Fiber" part plus the apple bits and cinnamon in there might be good with the pumpkin...) - also added about 3/4 cup toasted walnut pieces - and MOST of the 15 oz can of Trader Joe's organic pumpkin (this because the Fiber One mix comes in at 15.3 oz instead of the 18.x cake mix - no water seemed needed since it mixed up nicely... [might rethink this next time, even less pumpkin and a bit of water top which might give better consistency in finished product]). Came out well enough though I think - they did bake as expected - looked good - and were pleasantly dense and cakey, with pockets of pumpkin throughout - we liked 'em! Thanks for the inspiration!!! At the very least, it'll be easy to keep a box or 2, and can or 2 in the cupboard on standby, for those emergency "stuck in the house without eggs but wanna bake something" days - LOL!

Deb said...

I make these too, but have used a 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce instead of water, and add a bag (or less) of Hershey's Cinnamon chips - the cinnamon makes them taste out of this world!

YooperGal said...

I stumbled on to this post somehow... Thank God! I just made these tonight... ME! I Baked! I NEVER bake! My husband was thrilled and they were so yummy! Thanks for making me feel like a real baker!

Mika said...

We're making these today! did you ever make it with the chocolate mix instead of spice mix?