Friday, March 1, 2013

Banana Blueberry Streusel Bread


Blueberry Banana Bread

Don't you always have bananas going mushy in your house?

Please say that you do. I always do. When I don't have bananas in the house I hear:

"Mooooommmm, we don't have bananas?" "Are you going to buy some bananas?"

When I do have bananas in the house I say:

"I'm the only one in this house eating the bananas. Eat them before they go bad or we'll have a fruit fly infestation".

There is never banana harmony at my house. We either have too many or too little.

And why is it that once I leave the house I can never remember if I have bananas at the house or not. I'll be standing at the grocery store, looking at the bananas, asking John "Do we have bananas?" We never know.


Blueberry Banana Bread sliced

So I make a lot of banana bread cause I just can't stand to throw away perfectly good mushy bananas.

Sometimes I'll come home and some or all of my bananas are missing and my Mom will say: "I took some of your mushy bananas so I can make a banana bread". I must have inherited that from her.

I made this bread during the blizzard. We had power and I was a baking fool. This was partial payment to my neighbor with the plow along with chocolate chip cookies.


Blueberry Banana Bread. 1jpg

My little trick with any banana bread that I make is to whip the bananas before I use them. This lightens them up an little and doesn't make them quite so heavy. (see this old and ugly post from 2008)

I always have frozen blueberries in my freezer from my summer harvest. We pick boatloads of them. They are particularly welcome when there is 31 inches of snow outside your door. Use fresh if you have them, but the frozen ones work perfectly fine too.

Pin It

Banana Blueberry Streusel Bread
slightly adapted from a recipe at Kitchen Tested
3 or 4 ripe bananas (whipped)
¾ cup sugar
pinch salt
1 egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon water
2 cups flour
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Streusel Topping
1 Tablespoon flour
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons old-fashioned oatmeal
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Oven to 350. Add the sugar, salt and egg to a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Slowly drizzle in the butter, stirring constantly. Add the cinnamon and stir to combine.

Separately, mix the baking soda and water and add them to the bowl. Add in the flour and stir until just moistened, then add the whipped bananas and stir to combine. Drop in the blueberries and gently stir to combine. Pour the batter in to a greased loaf pan.

For the Streusel Topping:

Mix the flour, brown sugar, and oatmeal then add the melted butter. Spread the mixture over the banana blueberry bread batter and place the pan in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Bread is ready when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

3 comments:

Rosemary & Garlic said...

Some one else without banana harmony! My oldest son has moved back in while he is in graduate school. I believe his intent is create further imbalance with the bananas. Looks like a great recipe, if I could get him to slow down his consumption rate, I'll try it.

Foodiewife said...

It's been interesting how fickle my palate has been about banana bread. For a while, I loved it. Then, I rejected it. In Maui, I had Aunty Sandie's famous banana bread...warm and delicious. So, I like it again. I looooooooove your tip about whipping the bananas, first. I'm so going to try that!

Anonymous said...

Banana harmony is unattainable.
Thanks for the recipe!
At least it will bring us closer.

Todd.