Monday, March 25, 2013

Colossal Sugar Cookies and a winner!

Colassal Sugar Cookies

My youngest son loves sugar cookies.

He tends to lean on the plain side of things. He's a picky eater and not very adventurous at all when it comes to food. He will open up a can of Spaghetti-O's and turn down my homemade lasagna cause it's "yuck" in his words. The boy is crazy.

He doesn't like a lot of ingredients in one dish either. He'll take a peanut butter and jelly (only grape jelly!) over lots of my creations. The nerve!

As soon as he learned to turn on a stove he became obsessed with the slice and bake sugar cookies or those Pillsbury sugar cookies that come with the cute inserts in the middle. My mom my kept buying them for him and he was making a batch every day after school. They became his little obsession. He's actually hid them from his brother, that's how bad it got.

We weaned him off the slice and bakes. Now he waits for major holidays to make a batch.

I knew he would love these big, thick, soft cookies. The m&m's on top just made it even better plus they were all pastely and imprinted with cute little Easter images on them.


Colassal Sugar Cookies 2

You can use a muffin top pan to make these or a whoopie pie pan, which is what I used. At first I thought I was buying a uni-tasker, but after these big cookies came out of the oven, I think I'll be on a big cookie kick for a bit. Who doesn't like a colossal cookie?

I found this recipe on Mountain Mama Cooks. Thanks for the great idea!
Pin It

Colossal Sugar Cookies
recipe from Mountain Mama Cooks
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup + 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup M&M candies

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a medium-large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and both extracts and mix until well blended. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Divide the dough evenly between a prepared 12-cavity whoopie pie or muffin top pan, pressing dough down slightly. Decorate with M&M candies. Bake for 10-11 minutes until puffy and sides are golden. Remove pan from oven and let cookies cool completely on a cooling rack. Makes 12 cookies.

WINNER OF THE GIVEAWAY!!

Congrats to Jackie!

Yeah Jackie! Please use the contact me button to send me your mailing address!

9 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

I can't believe one of your sons is a picky eater! That is hilarious with the slice and bakes:-), These look wonderful and don't you love when a kitchen tool has multiple uses so you don't feel so bad about it taking up space in your kitchen? I have to admit, I love a simple sugar cookie - probably one of my faves.

Jackie said...

Now, I can stop saying "I never win anything" :) thanks Lisa. Sooooo excited to be "the winner"

I have a son who is a picky eater as well, doesn't even like Mac & cheese, crazy boy. One things for sure, I KNOW he'd love these cookies...must try them!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Jackie! :-) Yaaaay!

And Lisa, these cookies will be showing up at my house for Easter....the kidlets are gonna love them!

Anonymous said...

It is recommended to eat 25 to 30 grams of fiber per day.
Avoid prolong sitting or standing and avoid wearing tight undergarments are
some of the hemorrhoid treatment that you can also do.
First, there are hemorrhoid treatments you can use
such as applying hemorrhoid creams, pills, and ointments to soothe the affected area.


My weblog ... over the counter treatment for thrombosed hemorrhoids

Anonymous said...

The recipe calls for 3/4 cup butter or 6 TB. But, 3/4 cup is 12 TB. I'm confused.....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Is the measurement 3/4 cup butter or 6 tbsp butter? They're two different things.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I corrected the butter. Should be 6tablespoons. Sorry for the confusion!

pattygardner.com said...

Those are beautiful cookies!