Saturday, February 23, 2008

Missing Michael

Last night I watched a documentary about Elton John. I love Elton John. He is one of few performers on my wish list of people to see live. Thousands of concerts and I have never seen Elton live. It’s just a shame.

Quite a few Elton John songs make me think of my friend Michael. Last night while I watched the documentary I was flooded with memories of him.

We met at work many, many years ago. He married one of my close friends Linda who also worked at the same company. The marriage didn’t work and they divorced. Linda left the company, Michael stayed. While we were always all good friends, after the divorce Michael and I became very close. He was very handsome (oh the girls were all after him after the divorce), he was very deep and very lonely.

He was struggling with the divorce, which was very amicable, and needed someone to talk to, and I was there for him, as he was always there for me. We developed a really special friendship. We would talk on the phone for hours and hours, he shared my love of music and we shared a love of a lot of the same artists…Bonnie Raitt, Eric Clapton, the Beatles, Elton John, just to name a few. I fed him, of course, that’s what I do best. He was a bachelor and eating total crap so I would bring him good food to eat.

At that point in my life, he knew me like no one else. I was so comfortable with him and could tell him everything. Things I wouldn’t even tell my ex-husband. He and I were just so connected. I had never felt that in my life before. It’s not the same connection I have with John now. I’m in love with John and the connection we have is at such a different level. I think Michael came into my life when I really needed someone. Maybe we really needed each other at that point in time.

He left the company about 10 years ago. After he was gone he would send songs to the house on the answering machine or to my voice mail at work. Just so I would know he was thinking of me. I would pick up the phone and Nobody’s Girl by Bonnie Raitt would be playing. I would sit and listen, smiling. He would let the song play all the way through and then he would hang up without a word. This happened often, at home and at work…Levon…..Someone Saved my Life Tonight…..Bell Bottom Blues……Let it Grow, those are just a few of the songs I can remember listening to through the receiver. He would send me cards, with the most heartfelt notes inside. I still have all of them, though I can’t get through reading them without winding up in a puddle on the floor.

We kept in touch weekly, then monthly. Then he moved to Georgia. He had met a school teacher and fell in love. I was so happy for him. The calls got fewer and fewer, and soon they stopped.

It has been years since I have heard his voice. I want to tell him about John and about how happy my life is. I want him to see how big the boys have gotten. I want to know how he is. Is he happy? Does he have kids? Did he finally find “the one”? I want to know everything.

I miss him so. This is one of the songs he would play to me.






I thank the Lord there's people out there like you.



No comments: