Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie

It seems we have been on a chocolate and peanut butter kick lately. I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter. It's okay. I like it, but I'm not one of those people that goes nuts about it. I know lots of people like that. I live with one of them, my 11 year old Evan. If he could reinvent the food pyramid it would include only these foods:

Chocolate
Peanut Butter
Bread
Peanut Butter
Chocolate
More Bread

Well, maybe there would be a side of pizza or soup thrown in there, but he could happily survive on those 3 foods, at least until he reaches adulthood.

His brother Jess loves just about everything I put in front of him, unless it's a vegetable. He ate tons of veggies as a baby, but right after kindergarten his veggie consumption went straight downhill. I can get him to eat corn, broccoli (only the crowns), and sometimes carrots. He recently discovered that he likes raw spinach! I was shocked. The kid who hates almost all greens loves spinach, go figure.

So since tomorrow is Valentines day I asked them what special treat they would like me to make and they both said "the pie with the peanut butter cups in it". So being the good mommy that I am, I dug through my recipes and found it.

I don't like this pie. Look at it - it's not even pretty. Its way too sweet and way to peanut buttery and chocolaty. John and the boys LOVE it. So may I present to you, one of the easiest, sweetest pies I have ever made....and oh yeah, it's loaded with fat and calories too.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Pie
1 pkg (6 ounces) peanut butter cups
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 carton (8 ounces) cool whip
1 chocolate crumb crust

Cut four peanut butter cups in half; coarsly chop the remaining cups and set aside. In a large bowl whisk the milk and pudding mix for 2 mins. Fold in the cool whip until blended. Fold in the chopped peanut butter cups. Spoon into pie crust. Arrange halved peanut butter cups on top. Refrigerate for at least 15 mins before cutting.

Well I used a shortbread crust cause they were out of the chocolate ones when I went shopping. I also used all the peanut butter cups in the pie and topped mine with Hershey kisses.

I am sure they will all moan with glee while they are eating their pie tomorrow.

No comments: