Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pork Wontons

For over a week I researched recipes for pork wontons. I ended up using a combination from one I found on a website and one from a video on youtube, believe it or not.

Pork Wontons
1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 scallion
½ teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 pkg wonton wrappers (45 – 50)

Mix all the ingredients together by hand. Beat one egg in a small bowl to use as “glue” for your wrappers. Lay your wonton out and put a little less than a teaspoon in the middle of the wrapper.


Brush the left and right side of the wrapper facing you with some of the egg wash.



Fold the wonton in half.


Then pinch the middle like this.



Put a little more egg wash on one side of the wrapper and pinch them together.


I made these a few hours before I fried them. I kept them in the fridge tightly covered so they wouldn’t dry out.
Fry in 2 inches of oil (canola or vegetable) until golden brown.

They were good, not great. Still tasted like something was missing. I’ll have to try and research a little more to see what I missed.

Well I’m off to watch the Super Bowl!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tablespoon of cornstarch? Only one scallion to a pound of ground pork? No garlic?!? Take it from an Asian, Lisa - that sounds like a recipe for little lead hockey pucks. :)

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Yeah like I said, they were not great. I ate 2 and that was enough for me, lol. Have a recipe to share? I could use it!

Anonymous said...

*g* Here's one suggestion...