Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon (and a bit of a rant)

Sometimes I'm really jealous of all the stay at home Moms.

There I said it.

I am.

What I wouldn't give for a week at home to do all the things that I need to get done during the weekdays, especially now when my to do list is just a little to long. During this time of year I feel like I cram so much into my weekend that I don't really enjoy it and before you know it, it's Sunday night again and I'm prepping for the week ahead. I don't have enough hours in the day to get it all accomplished. I spend almost every lunch hour running from store to store, checking one more thing off the list, and then I add another. I get back to the office and I wolf down lunch while I'm working cause I just don't have time to eat when I should at noon.

I know it's mostly my fault for always cramming more into my day than I need to.

I feel like I have to do it all.

I know I don't.

I truly know that.

The last 3 years in a row I became sick as a dog at Christmastime. It was due to the stress I put myself through. In 2007 I ended up in the emergency room on Christmas Day. I could barely get myself off the couch to get to the hospital. I was literally near exhaustion.

Every holiday is hosted at my house. I do 95% of the cooking and baking. Other than my Mom, no one offers to help. This year that's going to change. I informed both my brothers that they will need to bring an appetizer and a dessert for Christmas Eve. I will resist the urge to cringe when they walk in with store bought items. I will resist.

I don't need to do it all.

I shouldn't have to do it all.

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself?

My Christmas menu is planned. My shopping lists are done. I have a bunch of gift cards to pick up and some final finishing touches on packages. Everything that needs to be mailed out is. My cards are addressed and ready for mailing too. Some of the people I work with joke with me and call me Martha. How do you do it all? I hear that a lot. I do it cause I feel like it has to get done.

Do I have to make a different ornament every year? No. Do I need to make home made items every year? No. But I truly love to do it. I just wish I had more time.

That's what I'd like for Christmas this year....just a little more time.

I'm really trying to de-stress this season and enjoy Christmas and everything that goes along with it. I'm taking deep cleansing breaths and trying oh so very hard to focus on what's important. I'm trying to avoid panic attacks and endless nights of trying to fall asleep while my to do list runs endlessly through my head.

I just need to turn it all off. Relax. Focus. I can do this.

Ok rant over. I didn't mean to offend any of the stay at home Mom's out there. I in no way what so ever mean to imply that you don't work you asses off as well. I'm just a wee bit jealous sometimes.

Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling like this during the holidays? I can't be the only Mom out there in total stress mode can I? Say it ain't so.

Where is all this going??? To my quick and easy salmon recipe. Perfect for a weeknight dinner. The brown sugar glaze was just sweet enough and the salmon, which I cooked for exactly 21 minutes was perfect.

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
recipe from Taste of Home - December issue
Printable recipe
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ to ¾ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 salmon fillet (2 – 2 ½ pounds)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the brown sugar, butter and honey until melted. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the oil, mustard, soy and salt & pepper. Cool for 5 minutes.

Place the salmon in a large foil-lined baking pan. Brush with the brown sugar mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Post a Comment