Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon (and a bit of a rant)

Sometimes I'm really jealous of all the stay at home Moms.

There I said it.

I am.

What I wouldn't give for a week at home to do all the things that I need to get done during the weekdays, especially now when my to do list is just a little to long. During this time of year I feel like I cram so much into my weekend that I don't really enjoy it and before you know it, it's Sunday night again and I'm prepping for the week ahead. I don't have enough hours in the day to get it all accomplished. I spend almost every lunch hour running from store to store, checking one more thing off the list, and then I add another. I get back to the office and I wolf down lunch while I'm working cause I just don't have time to eat when I should at noon.

I know it's mostly my fault for always cramming more into my day than I need to.

I feel like I have to do it all.

I know I don't.

I truly know that.

The last 3 years in a row I became sick as a dog at Christmastime. It was due to the stress I put myself through. In 2007 I ended up in the emergency room on Christmas Day. I could barely get myself off the couch to get to the hospital. I was literally near exhaustion.

Every holiday is hosted at my house. I do 95% of the cooking and baking. Other than my Mom, no one offers to help. This year that's going to change. I informed both my brothers that they will need to bring an appetizer and a dessert for Christmas Eve. I will resist the urge to cringe when they walk in with store bought items. I will resist.

I don't need to do it all.

I shouldn't have to do it all.

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself?

My Christmas menu is planned. My shopping lists are done. I have a bunch of gift cards to pick up and some final finishing touches on packages. Everything that needs to be mailed out is. My cards are addressed and ready for mailing too. Some of the people I work with joke with me and call me Martha. How do you do it all? I hear that a lot. I do it cause I feel like it has to get done.

Do I have to make a different ornament every year? No. Do I need to make home made items every year? No. But I truly love to do it. I just wish I had more time.

That's what I'd like for Christmas this year....just a little more time.

I'm really trying to de-stress this season and enjoy Christmas and everything that goes along with it. I'm taking deep cleansing breaths and trying oh so very hard to focus on what's important. I'm trying to avoid panic attacks and endless nights of trying to fall asleep while my to do list runs endlessly through my head.

I just need to turn it all off. Relax. Focus. I can do this.

Ok rant over. I didn't mean to offend any of the stay at home Mom's out there. I in no way what so ever mean to imply that you don't work you asses off as well. I'm just a wee bit jealous sometimes.

Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling like this during the holidays? I can't be the only Mom out there in total stress mode can I? Say it ain't so.




Where is all this going??? To my quick and easy salmon recipe. Perfect for a weeknight dinner. The brown sugar glaze was just sweet enough and the salmon, which I cooked for exactly 21 minutes was perfect.

Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
recipe from Taste of Home - December issue
Printable recipe
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ to ¾ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 salmon fillet (2 – 2 ½ pounds)





In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the brown sugar, butter and honey until melted. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the oil, mustard, soy and salt & pepper. Cool for 5 minutes.

Place the salmon in a large foil-lined baking pan. Brush with the brown sugar mixture. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

12 comments:

Bunny said...

I hear you honey, my husband would watch me run myself into the ground evey year at this time and see me in a terrible mood for the whole month. I don't know why but this year I've decide that I will do what I can do and it has to be good enough because I just can't go through another Christmas like the ones before. We're really hurting ourselves when we do this,I know it's easy to say but maybe if you have crafts that you'd like to make for Christmas they could be made in the summer a little at a time. Maybe the trick to not being overwhelmed at Christmas is to do things gradually all year long. Buying Christmas cards after Christmas when they're all 1/2 price and addressing them to the people you know you will be giving them to during the summer months when you have the time to sit outside and relax and do a couple at a time. I gave up wrapping gifts for other people and use the beautiful bags now, BOY DID THAT RELIEVE SOME STRESS!! I hate wrapping!! I'm doing lots of refrigerator slice and bake cookies this year. Make the dough one night after work and get to it when you have the time to bake them, trust me this is a big stress reliever, I did it this year, I even left the dough in the fridge for a week, sliced the cookies, baked them and they were delicious! I think a working mom created slice and bake cookies!! LOL!! And NO you should not have to deal with Christmas dinner all by your self!!! I know you want everything to be perfect, but your ruining your health in the attempt to make it perfect. Now take a deep breathe, ask for help, there's nothing wrong with that. You have the right to enjoy Christmas too. HUGS !

Anonymous said...

I have a ton of SAHM envy and I only work part-time. Although I find I get more of my organizing done when I am at work. There is always something going on, something needing to get done, someone needing me at home that I can't just sit and make my lists or organize my coupons. I get all that stuff done in the little bit of downtime at my desk at work.

Kay said...

I am now a SAHM and I love it, but I used to be jealous of my SAHM friends too! So, I hear ya! And totally understand!

Glad you're figuring out ways to relieve some of the busyness and stress this year. I don't really have any tips to add... when I was working, I didn't do much over holiday time and Christmas was never hosted at my place.

I just know I'd LOVE this salmon you posted here.

Anonymous said...

Goodness Gracious! I am a SAHM and I don't do all the things you do, not even including your outside job. I'm getting tired just reading all the things you do! :) I hope you get to enjoy your holidays in a way that brings you some happy relaxation this year.

Dawn said...

Wow...I am a SAHM and you're wayyyyy ahead of me! Great job at deligating.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Try and let go of the little things. Something that inspired me was a book called "Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season". You can do an Amazon search. Wishing you peace of mind and heart - Lisa

Anonymous said...

Didn't you just take a couple of weeks off and go back to work just this week? And now you want to take more time off?

What gives with that?

That being said, no need to run yourself into the ground. Don't obsess over perfection. No one (who matters anyway) will care if they don't have your idea of the perfect holiday celebration.

Lisa said...

Believe me, SAHM's feel the same way until they let go of the stress of their own expectations too. I would also recommend "Unplug the Christmas Machine." I think that is where I began letting go. And this year we are learning about Advent Conspiracy.

Life is short. Embrace what's important and let go of what really isn't. And meanwhile, thanks for the encouragement to eat simple and delicious dinners. Your Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon sounds fabulous!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Thanks for your commets all...well almost all of you.

Anonymous - just to set your story straight, I did not take 2 weeks off. I took a week off at Thanksgiving. My employer, who I have worked for for the past 25 years gives me a whopping 5 weeks vacation, which if not taken, is lost. So forgive me for taking a few weeks off the last couple of months.

Next time you have something to say, be a man and leave your name. Why do I assume you're a man? Cause no woman would have made that comment.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I stay home and I feel exactly the same way! I want to go to work to relax! It's always greener isn't it? Can't way to see what your bros bring packaged up from Christmas eve...take a picture k?

Abyss said...

I am new to reading your blog and I love all your recipe shares! I print almost every one. I am a full time working mom too and know how you feel. I often have more to do at home then at work! I work HR too. After having my second child I learned that I couldn't do it all, and now my house is clean but cluttery my husband is in charge of the dishes (he waits all day on them). and we often wear wrinkled clothes! But we are happy,and I have a little time for hand made projects and home made goodies.
Thanks for sharing your recipes!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

As as SAHM (and an admittedly LAZY one at that) and a military spouse who has spent every other year moving during the holidays, I can testify (TESTIFY!) that it's not what you do or make or buy - it's who you spend it with and how you choose to make your days.

Usually it's just my husband, daughter and I. Dinners are simple - often not even overly "traditional". The Thanksgiving I was pregnant, we hosted several geographical "orphans".

This year, we were in moving mode to our next duty station during Thanksgiving. Since we were leaving Europe, we took a final holiday and spent it in Paris and London. For Christmas - assuming we're settled and will have a house by Christmas Eve, we might be able to get the tree up, but dinner will probably once again be non-traditional, and I fully plan to be mopey, as for teh 1st time I'll be SO CLOSE yet still too far to go see family.

Our holidays have not been Hallmark weepy holiday commercial perfect, but they've been fun and relaxing, and as "holidayee" as we could manage given what we had and where we were.

My overly long point is this - if you're not enjoying the season, is the work worth it?

I enjoy reading your blog, and usually don't comment. But wanted to this time, it's your holidays too, they should be merry and bright, as the song goes.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and blessed New Year.

Maria/haleoalau