Thursday, December 18, 2008

That's the way.

Sunday night I was flipping through the channels looking for something to watch while I laid on the couch. I just needed some 'do nothing' time to completely veg out. Almost Famous was on. Now I've seen Almost Famous about 20 times. It's one of my favorite movies. I own it on DVD and could pop it in anytime I want, but whenever I see it on TV, I stop to watch it. I'm the same way with My Big Fat Greek Wedding or Muriel's Wedding. I just can't pass them by.

The soundtrack of Almost Famous is incredible. Every song I hear brings me back to a memory of my youth. I knew I didn't have 2 hours to watch the movie again, but I waited because I knew that there was a song coming up and I wanted to hear it again. Led Zeppelin's That's the Way. Possible one of my favorite LedZep songs...ok I love Kashmir and Going to California too but this song makes my heart happy. I was in high school in the late 70's when LedZep was King and my friends and I adored them. I had Robert Plant plastered up all over my bedroom walls. I even joined the fan club. I listened to my Led Zeppelin albums (yes albums!) so many times I thought I would wear them out. Thanks goodness cassette tapes came out so we could take LedZep with us in the car.

Every song brings me back somewhere. I remember when the neighbor across the street was practicing with a bunch of girls who were in the high school Color Guard and my best friend Kathy and took the speakers from my stereo, put them in the windows and blasted Black Dog out into the streets. Man were they pissed.

I distinctly remember laying on a blanket with my girlfriends in Goddard Park with That's the Way playing from a cassette player behind my head. Off for summer vacation, not a care in the world, loaded up with coconut oil, sun shining down on us...like the song says...nothing really matters.

The graphics on this video dont change, you just need to listen and enjoy (hey I know it's not a Christmas song and 'tis the season, but I love it).




3 comments:

Lalaha said...

Nice post! I too slept underneath photos of Robert Plant (fave: holding the dove at Kezar Stadium in San Francisco, 1973)in the late 70's, and I sang That's the Way to my son as a lullabye. Who says you need traditional Christmas songs to get in the holiday spirit?

It's all happening!

Debbie said...

Wow. Other people too reminisce (spelling??) about the 70's?
loved your post.

Susan said...

Thanks so much for the trip down memory lane... I love when something grabs me and brings me back there!