Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fried Chicken

I don't belong to the majority of people who love fried chicken. It's okay. Nothing I would ask for on my birthday, or request as a special meal. I would take chicken made a hundred other ways before I would ask for it fried, but my husband loves it, so I make it for him, not as often as he would like, but I make it.

This method of cooking fried chicken is mostly my mother-in-law's. I add a step that she doesn't. I soak mine in buttermilk overnight. This chicken is fried then baked in the oven to finish. So the recipe, which really is so easy that you don't even need to print it is:

Soak chicken parts in buttermilk overnight.

The next day take the pieces out of buttermilk and dredge in a flour/salt/pepper and Parmesan mixture. My MIL told me about adding in the Parmesan cheese. It gives it a nice tang along with the buttermilk.

If you want to double dip your chicken, you certainly can. I didn't this time but I have in the past. Once it has it's first dip in the flour you can re-dip it in egg and then flour again.

Fry in about 1 1/2 inches of canola or vegetable oil until pieces are golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 for 45 - 55 minutes. You really need to check the chicken because times will vary depending on your oven and how big your chicken pieces are.

It's really good fried chicken. My husband is so happy everytime I make it. I didn't have time to make mashed potatoes this time, but that's usually what I serve it with....oh and gravy....can't forget the gravy.

3 comments:

krysta said...

and biscuits can't forget the biscuits...

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing, just amazing!

Anonymous said...

We usually had rice and chicken gravy with fried chicken. Mmmmm.