Saturday, December 6, 2008

Oh yeah...those things!


I guarantee you after reading this post many of you will be saying just that….”Oh yeah, those things”. You might recognize this treat but call it something different. When I first encountered it, it was called Rumstick Crunch. One of my friends at work has been making this for the last 20 years.

I came across a very similar recipe at Peabody's and she calls it Ghetto Toffee, which I think is just hysterical and is now the official name I use when I make them just cause I like saying it. “Yes, I shall be bringing the Ghetto Toffee to the corporate luncheon”. Cracks me up.

Pampered Chef has recipe, which they call Chocolate Praline Toffee Crisps. Pardon moi! It’s Ghetto Toffee. Get over it Pampered Chef people. All of these recipe start with a cracker of some sort, saltines, Keebler butter crackers, or grahams. I’ve even seen it made with Matzo. Choose the one you like best. Since I hadn’t had the butter cracker version that Peabody made, I decided to try it. I lined half the sheet with butter crackers and half with grahams. Most of the recipes call for you to heat up some butter/sugar/brown sugar and top with various kinds of chocolate chips and nuts. All 3 recipes are similar but a little different. Whatever you call it….add the word delicious to it, cause that’s what it is no matter which way you make it. It’s incredibly easy to make, almost impossible to screw up, and yes a little ghetto-e even. I think I just made up a new word – ghetto-e.

Make sure you cover all the crackers completely...and don't forget to line your pan!


It should look all bubbly and gooey when it comes out of the oven.



I sprinkle the chips on the pan and I pop mine back in the oven for 1 minute just to let the chips melt a little. I didn't have toffee chips so I used a combination of semi-sweet and butterscotch. An excellent combo in my opinion. I let the boys choose the topping for most of the pan. They picked mini chocolate chips and white chips. I added some slivered almonds to some it for John. Let your creative side run wild and top any of these recipe with whatever you like.

I have included 3 different versions in this post. There are hundreds more out there. Pick the one you like best, or combine them to make it your own....but make it.

Printable versions of all 3 recipes

Ghetto Toffee
Recipe from Peabody’s Concoctions
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup packed brown sugar
12 ounces chocolate chips
6 ounces toffee chips

I quote Peabody:

Line a cookie sheet with foil (this is a must!). Bring the butter and the brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan and simmer it for about 5 minutes. Put a layer of crackers on the cookie sheet, close together. Pout the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and bake for about 6 – 10 minutes (I do the 10) at 350. Remove and immediately pour the chocolate chips over the crackers, evenly distributing them. The recipe will tell you to spread immediately…I don’t. I let it sit for about 30 seconds, then with the back of a spatula I move the chocolate chips just a little bit. I wait another 30 seconds and repeat. I start to slowly move the chocolate around, being careful not to move the crackers. I let it sit for another 30 seconds and at this point it pretty much spreads like frosting. Then I top off with toffee bits. You can top with whatever you like. I have done dark chocolate, candy cane bits, white chocolate with dried cherries, rocky road, M&M’s….just about any combo you can think of.

Here is the first version that I had:

Rumstick Crunch
1 sleeve saltines
1 cup sugar
1 ¾ sticks butter
12 oz chocolate chips
Chopped pecans or walnuts

Cover large sheet pan with foil. Place crackers in single layer in pan and set aside. In a small saucepan melt butter, add sugar and cook until thick and bubbly. Pour mixture evenly over crackers and bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. When chips are slightly melted smooth with spatula to cover crackers. (You may return them to the oven for a minute or two to melt). Sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts. When cool left foil and break into pieces.



The Pampered Chef version:

Chocolate Praline Toffee Crisps
Recipe from Pampered Chef
12 whole graham crackers
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) do not substitute
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup white chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350. Arrange the crackers side by side in a single layer in a large cookie sheet covered in foil. Combine the brown sugar, butter and vanilla in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Boil the sugar mixture for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. (If you are using a candy thermometer the temperature should reach 244 F).

Remove from the heat and stir in pecans. Immediately pour sugar mixture over crackers and spread evenly. Bake 10 – 14 minutes or until sugar mixture is bubbly and pecans are lightly roasted. Remove pan from the oven to rack to cool completely.

Place the chocolate chips in a microwave bowl on high for 30 – 60 seconds to melt. Stir after each 20 second interval until they are smooth. Place in a small zip lock bag. Trim corner to allow chocolate to flow through. Drizzle over the crackers. Repeat with the white chocolate. Let stand until firm.

Break into squares or triangles. Store in a tightly covered container between layers of wax paper or parchment.

If you do give one of these a try, let me know what combo you chose!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

I've been looking for this "fake" toffee..which, from here on out will be "ghetto toffee"...so thanks! I think I love your tree. I live in Nevada... we have big sagebrush.

Anonymous said...

Over at Chowhound they call it Matzo Crack. LOL

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Ghetto Toffee, Matzo Crack. My friend's 90 yo grandmother just made us some of this last weekend. She might flip out over these names. Nice post and nice variations.

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight. Yum! It's not done cooling off yet and hubby has eaten 4 pieces. :) I don't know if it's just not cool enough yet or maybe I didn't let it boil quite long enough, but it's a little chewy. Still really good. Thanks for sharing this!