Saturday, May 24, 2008

Peanut Butter Crisscrosses

What a weekend it's been so far. I have been on the go non-stop since Friday morning. Yesterday I took a much needed day off from work and Eva and I went to Ikea in Stoughton, MA. It was totally a girls days out and just what I needed. We spent about 3 hours there shopping. I picked up some really nice flexible cutting boards, a huge wooden cutting board, a dozen glasses that match the set I bought from Ikea last year, those were 12 for $4.99, how can ya beat those prices? Lets see I know there was more, I'm mentally picturing my shopping cart, oh I picked up a cutting board for my Mom too. We also stopped by the little market they have as you are exiting the store and I picked up the most delicious cookies. They are little oat wafers with a chocolate filling, so good. Big box of those $4.99. What a bargain! I also got the boys some wafer candies that they like. After we got back we went to dinner with Ken & Eva. Such a nice day for me.

Today we spent most of the day in the yard again preparing for tomorrow's cookout. We'll be having about 14 people over. After a busy day of planting and yard work I ventured into the kitchen to cook and make some cookies for tomorrow. No they are not my only dessert, I have other goodies up my sleeve too silly monkeys.

This is my first recipe from Dorie's Baking cookbook. John and I split one once they cooled and man they were good. We do that a lot, split the ugly cookie, you know the one that is misshapen, or an odd size, or a little burnt, we always split that one in two and share, plus it's a taste test for me and this one passed with flying colors! This recipe makes a lot of cookies. I think I got close to 50 from it!

Peanut Butter Crisscrosses
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of nutmeg
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup peanut butter (not the "natural" type)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts
About 1/2 cup sugar, for rolling

Preheat oven to 35o degrees. Line baking sheets with silpat or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.

Working with a stand mixture fitted with the paddle attachment (or hand mixer and a large bowl), beat the butter on medium speed until light and creamy, one to two minutes. Add peanut butter and beat for another minute. Add the sugars and beat 3 minutes more. Add eggs one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Scrape down sides and bottom of the bowl. On low speed, add the flour mixture, mixing only until they just disappear. Mix in the chopped peanuts.

Pour the 1/2 cup sugar into a small bowl. Working with a level tablespoonful of dough for each cookie, roll the dough between your palms into balls, then roll in sugar to coat. Place two inches apart on baking sheet. Dip the tines of a fork into sugar and press the tines against each ball of dough twice, making a crisscross pattern.

Bake 12 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom and front to back at midway point. When done, cookies will be lightly colored and still a little soft. Let cookies sit on baking sheet a few minutes before transferring to cooling racks. Repeat with remaining dough, making sure to cool the baking sheets between batches.

3 comments:

jesse said...

That looks heavenly! 50 of those cookies won't last long in my house at all...

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Mmm, a good peanut butter cookie is a wonderful way to make friends. Think how many friends you can have with 50 cookies! Or half that many friends, if you sandwich Nutella between them, as I have been known to do.

Anonymous said...

That's funny, "split the ugly cookie". Sometimes the ugly ones are the tastier ones! These look like great cookies to make for our party!