Sunday, January 18, 2009

Bread for a week (or more)

The bitter cold weather we have been experiencing here in Rhode Island makes it a perfect time to crank up the oven and bake some bread. My house can use all the heat it can get when the wind chill is below zero outside. Having some delicious bread in your tummy doesn’t hurt either. It was snowing again this morning. This is the 3rd weekend in a row we've had snow. As least Mother Nature is kind enough to hold off during the week.

I found this recipe in an issue of Taste of Home. The recipe was named Ezekiel’s Bread (after the bible verse). I kind have took it upon myself to re-name it, not because I don’t like the name Ezekiel, in fact when I see the name Ezekiel a few other names always pop into my head, Obadiah, Jedidiah, nice old biblical name. Anyway, the reason I re-named it is because you get four loaves out of this recipe…FOUR! That’s a lot of bread. Probably over a weeks worth for most families. Four loaves too much for you?? Oh come on, you can always throw a few loaves in the freezer or just cut the recipe in half too. Another reason I love this recipe is cause I get to break out my gigantic turn of the century bowl, which I scored for ten bucks at a yard thank you very much. Very proud of that find I tell ya. Just take a look at how much the dough had rised in that baby:


This recipe might not be for the first time bread baker, but if you have a few loaves under your belt, it’s a pretty easy one. I have to warn those of you with a Kitchen Aid mixer, this dough comes right up to the tippy top of the bowl. At one point I was afraid of over flow, but it worked.

This is the perfect bread to go along with a nice stew or soup. Hearty with a little crunch due to the wheat germ, it can stand up to a good dipping, but it would also be perfect for a sandwich.

Bread for a Weekrecipe from Taste of Home
Printable recipe

3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast.
5 cups warm water (110 – 115), divided
1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup honey, divided
2/3 cup canola oil
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
4 cups whole-wheat flour
1 cup toasted wheat germ
6 to 8 cups bread flour

In a large mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in ¾ cup warm water and 1 tablespoon of honey. Add the remaining water and honey, the oil, sugar, salt, whole-wheat flour, wheat germs and 3 cups of bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). I added about 2 1/2 cups at this point. The bread was just starting to pull away from the mixer and the dough was very sticky.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 – 8 minutes. I gradually added in another cup of flour as I was kneading this until it got to the point that is was elastic cause the dough was just so sticky. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves. Place in 4 – 9x5x3 inch loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.


Bake at 350 for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lisa, this is exactly what I need! I love that it has some good fiber, too. I love the taste of the white loaves but feel bad knowing there's little fiber in it. I am going to give this a try, I only hope I have a bowl big enough! With five of us we can easily eat these in a week.

Peabody said...

Looks like a good wholesome bread for sandwiches!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Great bread and I remember reading your score! post about the bowl. Nice to see it earning its keep.