Saturday, January 19, 2008

Alta Casbeer's Chicken Fried Steak

I want to thank my friend Dan at one of the food message boards I frequent for sharing his Granny Alta's recipe with me. I researched Chicken Fried Steak recipes for more than a week. I can't begin to tell you how many different variations I found. His Granny's looked good to me and I loved how the recipe was written. She had a whole meal in one recipe "Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Dinner Rolls and Gravy". We opted for corn this time around. Here is her recipe, word for word, as it was given to me for the Chicken Fried Steak and the gravy.


Chicken Fried Steak
1 lb package or so tenderized or cubed round steak
3 teaspoons or so Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons or so A-1 sauce
Salt & pepper to taste
1 egg
3 tablespoons (1 good glug) milk
1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk
6 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons oil or Crisco

Add Worcestershire, A-1, salt and pepper to both sides of the steaks. In a wide shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Dip meat into flour, then egg, then flour again, turning several times until thoroughly coasted. When oil is hot, add meat. Cook on one side until flour is bloody or bottom crust is brown. Flip and cook on other side until brown on both sides. Remove from heat and sit on oven to keep warm.

Add the rest of the flour from plate into skillet until all grease seems kid of absorbed. Add couple dashes of salt & pepper. Stir flour into oil and drippings and continue at medium high until roux is brown. Gradually stir in evaporated milk until gravy forms. Stir constantly until cooked way before desired thickness, then put in bowl. Serve over mashed potatoes.

It was really delicious. The A-1 and Worchestire gave it a nice little kick. A keeper for sure. Thanks Granny Alta.

No comments: