Monday, January 21, 2008

Chicken Cutlets

Since I was a very little girl I can remember chicken cutlets on the Sunday dinner table. We would drive to Framingham, MA, where my Nonna (Francesca) & Nonno (Paulo) lived and eat for hours. Eating was an event. Along with the artichoke omelets, huge antipastos, roasted chickens, soups, sausages, meatballs, pastas, fresh breads & cheeses, plates of figs and other fresh fruits, there were always chicken cutlets on the table. My Nonna was a great cook. She did not speak English too well, and she did not write in English at all, so nothing ever got written down (gee I wonder where I got that from?). Looking back now I wish I had watched her more closely and written down some of her recipes. Her fig cookies, which my Mom is still trying to duplicate, were just out of this world.

Whenever I make chicken cutlets I think of my Nonna.

Breaded Chicken Cutlets
Boneless chicken tenders
Breadcrumbs
Fresh parsley
Italian seasoning
Parmesan cheese
2 eggs - beaten

Fill a good size bowl with breadcrumbs. Add some fresh chopped parsley and some Italian Seasoning. You can buy the pre-seasoned Italian breadcrumbs if you’d like. Throw in a good hand full of Parmesan and mix it all together.
Beat the two eggs in another bowl .Take your chicken tenders and dip them into the beaten eggs, then into the breadcrumb mixture. You can make these the night before and refrigerate them until you are ready to bake them. I know some people fry their cutlets, but my Nonna always baked them, my Mom bakes them, so I bake them too, besides it’s better for you!

When you are ready to bake them, pre-heat the oven to 350 and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. I line my baking sheet with foil and spray it with a little vegetable oil. Don’t over bake them or they will dry out.

These are great the day after cut up on a salad, or in a sandwich
.

No comments: