Sunday, January 27, 2008

Meatballs!

I made this recipe about 5 times before I got the amounts right. Today was the final run through and I have to say....they are fabulous (even better than my Mom's). I know that was totally terrible to say, but it's true. Sorry Mom.

Lisa's Meatballs
2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (do not substitute)
1 cup bread crumbs
3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup grated Romano cheese
1 small Spanish (red) onion, finely chopped
4 or 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
1/3 cup fresh chopped basil (again, no fresh basil in RI...I used a tablespoon of dry)



Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Yes by hand, just stick them in there and get mooshing, well make sure you wash your hands first, then get mooshing. If it seems a little loose add a bit more breadcrumbs, too dry add a little more milk.

Roll them loosely about the size of golf balls and place them on a foil lined baking sheet. This recipe makes about 40 meatballs. I usually put 20 on each try and half way through the baking time I will rotate the trays from top to bottom, bottom to top. You get the picture. Cook for approximately 40 minutes.

If 40 meatballs is too much for you (it never is for us), you can freeze them for use later.

No comments: