Sunday, December 21, 2008

Fast, easy, five minute fudge!


It's true. You can make fast, easy fudge in 5 minutes...and it tastes great! I've been making this fudge for Christmas for a couple of years now. There's no messy marshmallows fluff to deal with, there's no boiling, no candy thermometers. It's fast and it's super easy to make.

5 Minute Fudge
1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
9 ounces (about 3/4 of a 12-ounce bag) butterscotch chips
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup chopped nuts

You can use any kind of combination of chips you'd like for this fudge. I find it works best with a base of semi-sweet and then you can vary the 9 ounces of other chips. I've had great success with the mint chips, the white chocolate chips and the peanut butter chips.

First prepare your pan for the fudge. I usually use a 8x8 or similar size pan. Line the pan with foil and spray it with cooking spray (I use Bakers Joy). Set aside.

Next chop your nuts so they are ready to go into the melted chocolate as soon as it comes off the stove. You can use any kind of nuts you like...almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts. You can even substitute dried fruit if you'd like. This really is a recipe you can make your own.

Then you make a double boiler of out 2 pots. How? Place a heavy pot on the stove and fill it with about an inch of water. Heat the water over low heat (don't let this boil!). Find a smaller pot that will fit into the bigger pot but not touch the water. Into the smaller pot place the chips and the condensed milk. Stir until the milk and chips and melted and combined.

As soon as the chocolate is melted add in the vanilla and nuts and stir it up quickly. This will set up fast, so you don't have a lot of time. Place the mixture into your pan and smooth out the top with a cake spatula immediately. If you'd like to garnish it with more nuts, now's the time to do that too. Then pop it into the fridge to set. That should take about an hour. Pull the foil out of the pan and peel it away from the fudge. Cut into bite size pieces, serve and listen to your friends and family marvel at how delicious it is!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect, because all I have left is about 5 minutes. I'll try this!

Bunny said...

One of my friends at work was trying to explain to me how she made fudge that only took minutes to make, I think this is it!! It looks so good! Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

"Jenny" you do good work!

I so wish I liked to bake. I've been doing it for 3 days so I could give gifts to folks at work & in the neighborhood. I've got 3 different things completed and the dough & filling made for Pumpkin Pecan Tassies, but I swear I don't think I have the fortitude to complete them. Guess I'll have to figure out how I'm going to get 14 different goodie plates out of what I've made.

Next year I'm smoking a couple of pork butts and putting portions in Christmas tins.

Happy Holidays!