Monday, December 15, 2008

Ham & Cheese in Puff Pastry


I saw Ina Garten make this on Barefoot Contessa last week and I immediately went and added it to my "to make" list. Yes I really do have a "to make" list. Its housed in a big wicker basket that sits on top of the computer desk. That basket it chuck full too.

I made a big batch of Chicken Escarole soup yesterday and wanted something different to go with it. This was perfect, and couldn't be any easier. I can see myself making lots of different variations of this. Use different meats and cheeses to turn it into your absolute favorite combination. This ham and Gruyere version was simply wonderful. I adore almost anything made with puff pastry, but the savory cheese and ham really hit the spot on a cold winter day.

I read the reviews of this recipe before I made it and noticed that most of them suggested using more ham. I used a half pound of ham instead of the 1/4 suggested. It was the perfect amount. This would make a really impressive appetizers to bring to a party too.
Look it's so pretty.


Ham & Cheese in Puff Pastry
Recipe from Ina Garten
Printable recipe
1 package (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
¼ pound black forest ham, sliced
½ pound Swiss Gruyere cheese, sliced
1 egg beaten, with 1-tablespoon water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 450. Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan. Lay 1 sheet of puff pastry on a floured surface and carefully roll it out to 10 x12 inches. Place it on the sheet pan and brush it with the mustard, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Place a layer of ham, then cheese on, also leaving a 1-inch border. Brush the border with the egg wash.

Place the second sheet of puff pastry on the floured surface and roll it out to 10 x 12 inches. Place the second sheet on top of the filled pastry, lining up the edges. Cut the edges straight with a small, sharp knife and press together lightly. Brush the top with egg wash and cut a few slits in the top to allow stream to escape.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve hot or warm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooohh, yum... I love that recipe, and your pics are beautiful! Try Trader Joe's puff pastry rather than the PF - it's as good as DuFour, IMO, and contains nothing but flour, butter, salt, sugar and water. Try a thin layer of caramelized onions on top of the ham and cheese... :)

Bunny said...

I saw her make it too! I have a basket on my computer desk that holds all my to make recipes also!!! LOL!! I'm bookmarking this cause I think this would be good for a dinner to along with fries!

Anonymous said...

How yummy! I love the browning edges! Just beautiful!

Doodle Whore said...

I just made my first one and it looks gorgeous. And I don't even know how to cook! I would definitely do 1/2 lb ham and 1/4 lb cheese.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's going immediately into my "to make list" too.