Sunday, December 7, 2008

Snowy Morning - Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies


For me there is nothing better in the winter then waking up to a blanket of snow. It's like Mother Nature put a nice, clean white coating of calmness all over the neighborhood. It's also a very good reason to make cookies. Snow just makes me want to bake, and even though I have lots to do today, I know my kids will never have a memory of me wrapping and cleaning all day, but I hope they do remember that whenever it snowed, Mom made cookies.








I don't know why they called these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies because the recipe didn't contain espresso or espresso powder (I added it). They are very chocolaty with a nice espresso kick.

Make sure you let these cool in the pan 5 minutes before you transfer them to a wire rack. They dough is very soft so I kept mine in the fridge in between batches.

Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies
Printable recipe
Yield – 3 dozen
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
½ cup butter (1 stick), cubed
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso granules
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt

In a small saucepan melt the unsweetened chocolate, 1 cup of the chocolate chips, butter and the coffee/espresso granules. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl beat the sugar and eggs for 3 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the chocolate mixture. Stir in remaining chips.



Drop by rounded teaspoonful 2 inches apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 – 12 minutes, or until puffed and tops are cracked. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't live where it snows but would love to experience it one day! The cookies sound awesome!

Bunny said...

We got a dusting of snow the other day, I know we're due for a BIG one soon!! I don't know how I missed this post but these cookies look great!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

OMG, Lisa!
Out of 12 different types of cookies and cakes I made for Christmas, THESE were the ones my sis couldn't stop talking about!

They were fantastic!
Thanks so much for posting them!
D.