Saturday, October 11, 2008

Butterscotch Marble Cake

Today's my wedding anniversary. Probably figured that out when you read the previous post huh? John and I don't exchange anniversary gifts. We'll give each other a card, and do something special. Some years we go out to dinner, some we stay home and I make all his favorites.

Today he took me out into the woods so I could play with the Nikon. We went on a nice long hike and I got some really great photos. In return I made him a cake I knew he would love. Butterscotch is one of his favorite flavors. I have been saving this recipe for months just so I could make it for him on our anniversary.

Butterscotch Marble Cake
Printable recipe
1 package – 2 layer size white cake mix
1 – 4 serving size package butterscotch instant pudding & pie filling
1 cup water
4 eggs
¼ cup cooking oil
½ cup chocolate flavored syrup (I used Hershey’s)
2 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon hot water

Preheat the oven to 350. Generously grease and flour a 10 inch fluted tub pan. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine the cake mix, pudding mix, 1 cup water, eggs, and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently.

Transfer 1 ½ cups of the batter to a medium bowl, stir in chocolate syrup. Pour the light batter into the prepared pan. Top with chocolate batter. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently swirl through the batters to marble.

Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack.



Icing
In a small saucepan combing the sweet baking chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in powered sugar and 1 tablespoon of hot water. If necessary, stir in additional hot water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So dang yummy...love that icing too.