Friday, October 31, 2008

Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling

My father-in-laws favorite dessert is a Pumpkin Roll. Knowing that, I just had to make one while he was here. We only get to see my in-laws once a year, so I try and keep 'em happy!

I was up at 5am and decided to get a jump start on the pumpkin roll. By 6am it was ready to come out of the oven. "Yea!" I'm thinking in my head, I'll have the pumpkin roll all ready to go in the fridge, and my kitchen will be all cleaned up early! Yeah right. I should have went with my instincts and placed a large tray under the towel and flipped the jelly roll pan. No, no I had to follow the directions. I flipped the cake over onto the towel and it just crumbled into a big blob. It was a total disaster. Into the trash it went. So at 6am, I made the cake - again. This time I used a large tray and had much better results.

So now the cake is in the fridge, I'm putting away all my ingredients and I go to the large cupboards to put away the flour and sugar and I slam my finger into the cupboard while I'm closing it. Oh I cussed something fierce. My nail is now a lovely shade of red, which I'm sure will turn into a lovely shade of purple soon.

My day should brighten up soon. The first Trader Joe's to hit Rhode Island is opening in about an hour. I will be there when the doors open. I can't wait!


Enjoy your Halloween!



Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling - from the recipe on the can of Libby's Pumpkin
Printable Recipe
1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

Filling:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)


PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper or parchment. Grease and flour paper (I used Bakers Joy).

Spread out a thin clean dish towel on the counter and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar (you can use a mesh strainer to do this). Make sure the towel is bigger than your jelly roll pan. Set aside.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Stir in pumpkin. Add the flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel *see note. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

BEAT cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Re-roll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

*Note - Take a large serving tray, put the towel on the tray, cover the jelly roll pan with the tray and flip the jelly roll pan over. Peel paper off cake. Results - perfect!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!! I want a Trader Joes so bad! Down here in Texas, I know it's not going to happen any time soon. *pout* I love pumpkin rolls too, but am always afraid to attempt them, maybe this year!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

These pumpkin rolls look so good and that you made them twice! Maybe you could have smashed up the flopped cake with the cream cheese and had pumpkin balls? Let us know how your first trip to TJ's was!

Anonymous said...

Wow, twice, oh girl, good for you. Sorry for the finger and congrats on your Trader Joes.

caramialovesjames said...

I am so jealous of your Trader Joe's! Details, we want details of that first trip!