Sunday, October 5, 2008

Caramel Apples

Boy it was chilly when we woke up this morning. There's no frost on the pumpkin yet, but it won't be long. I had cooked another batch of apple butter in the crock pot last night, so we woke up to that luscious smell in the house again. I used a mix of 3 different kinds of apple this time and added in a little clove. I think it's even better than the first batch. I might even leave this batch a bit chunky.

Yesterday we got our hay bales and I decorated the front deck and the rest of the yard. Today the guys will hang the ghosts and goblins from the trees. Grandma G brought us a whole box of decorations for the trees a few years ago, so now it's become a bit of a tradition to hang them from the big trees that line the front yard.

We also went stick hunting for caramel apples. Who says you need popsicle sticks when nature provides and abundance of free stick right in your very own yard. You don't eat the stick anyway right?

This recipe made 4 ooey, gooey caramel apples. Evan took the plain route and opted for just plain ole caramel, John and I wanted coconut and Jesse's was covered in Halloween sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. My apple was the only one that was photographable. Although I'm sure they taste great, they were a bit messy.

Caramel Apples
4 sticks
4 apples, washed & dried
16 ounces of wrapped caramels (I used 2- 8oz bags)
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Insert stick into the end of each apple. Set aside. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment and spray it lightly with cooking spray. Set aside. Get whatever your going to dip the apples into prepped into bowls.

Combine butter, milk and caramel in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until caramel is melted and smooth (5 to 7 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Dip your apple into the caramel and spoon the caramel over the top and down the sides. Work quick cause the caramel sets up quick. Roll and press your goodies up the sides of the apple. Set on lined baking sheet to cool. I put mine in the breezeway since it was chilly today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, such an elegant apple!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This reminds me of fall fairs and Hallowe'en. I remember making them at home with my mom. You used to be able to buy caramel wrappers that you just wrapped on your apple and then baked them:D