Saturday, October 25, 2008

No Peel Apple Cake


Yes you read that right....no peel. Last week I was busy planning all the menus that I'm having this week. My in-laws are flying in tomorrow for a week long visit so I wanted to make sure that I have lots of great meals to feed them. I decided to make a pot roast for Sunday. It's supposed to be a rainy damp day tomorrow so I thought they might appreciate a home cooked meal after a day of traveling. Then I went searching for dessert. While I was scanning across so many of the blogs I read I came across this recipe on the 4 Reluctant Entertainers. I'm always looking for new apple recipes and this one looked easy (and it was) and the fact that you don't have to peel the apples really "appealed" to me.

(huh I made an apple pun).

I used my apple/peeler/corer machine, which takes off most of the peel, but not all of it. So it was really nice not to have to go back and remove some of the peel after. It smelled so good while it was cooking, like a cross between a cinnamon bun and apple pie.




No Peel Apple Cake
Printable recipe
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup applesauce - like Sandies original recipe, I used my apple butter in place of the applesauce.
1 ½ cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
4 cups chopped unpeeled apples, cut into ½” pieces (About 4 large apples)

Topping
1/4 cup sugar & 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Preheat he oven to 350. Combine all the ingredients except the apple and mix with an electric mixer until just combined. Stir in the chopped apples. Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 inch pan and spread out evenly in pan. Sprinkle on topping and bake for 55 minutes or until cake tests done.

That's it! So easy and so good. The apples are soft and sweet and the cake is moist and delicious. The topping gives it a nice sugary crunch. Perfect for breakfast and snacking. Make this and share it and people will be happy.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Hey Lisa! Wasn't it the best cake? (assuming it's gone - ha!)

Could you put my website on the printable version? Thanks, dear!

Hugs!

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Sandy - link posted! Thanks again for the great recipe!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a great idea, I hate peeling so this sounds perfect!

craftydabbler said...

Thank you for the recipe. My daughter and I made the cake this evening. It is so yummy. I can't wait to have some with vanilla ice cream tomorrow.