Sunday, October 26, 2008

Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies


It's been a hectic 24 hours. Yesterday we were busy cleaning up the house and finishing up last minute errands. I host my company annual dinner dance so I had to prepare for that also. We were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, then had to stop and get all gussied up for the dinner/dance. I always stress when I'm getting ready for a party. I was also going to be front and center stage for a few parts of the night too, so more stress. I'm not comfortable in front of large crowds.....but I did it. I'm not good with dressing up either. I hate heels, and the make-up - Oy! I wear eye makeup about once a year so it's always a pain for me to put that on to try and look presentable. I just never seem to know what color supposed to go wear, which is why I only attempt it once a year. Women who wear it everyday I give ya credit, I couldn't do it.

Anyway....the night went well. We had a comedy group called the Ocean State Follies that performed. I was picked on a few times by the Follies. Once calling me Rapunzel and another time a snide reference to Goldilocks. It was all in fun. We had a nice time and I even won one of the raffle prizes.....a digital picture frame. Cool!

Since I didn't have too much to do this morning I knew I had time to crank out one more recipe. I had bookmarked this Frosted Brown Sugar Cookie recipe in a Taste of Home Magazine that I picked up that's loaded with lots of great cookie and bar recipes.

Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies from Taste of Home's Best Loved Cookies & Bars
Printable recipe
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Frosting
1/4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup confectioners sugar

In a mixing bowl cream the butter and brown sugar. Beat in the egg and sour cream. Mix well. Combing the flour, soda, and salt. Gradually add tot he creamed mixture and mix well.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 9 - 11 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack to cool.

For frosting: In a small saucepan milt the butter over low heat. Add the brown sugar. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in confectioners sugar. Cool for 20 minutes. Frost cooled cookies.

I added a few drops of maple flavoring to my frosting cause...well..I love maple and I thought the flavor would go great with this cookie. It's a very buttery brown sugar taste. Really nice with a cup of tea or coffee.

I'm hosting a big breakfast Monday morning and I thought these would go well with my menu. They taste great even without the frosting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hate makeup? Wha?

I do love the flower cookie! So beautiful.

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Mmm now I want one of these and a cup o' joe. Brown sugar and maple are a wonderful combo.

Sandy said...

I just love cookies with frosting! Yummy!