Friday, March 14, 2008

Cabbage with Onions & Bacon

I am the only person in my house who likes cabbage. Can you believe that? The boys won't even try it! I tried to start small with brussel sprouts, but they would have none of it. Silly boys.

Cabbage is on sale everywhere cause of St. Pattys Day and seeing it at every store I've been in this week made me hungry for it. So I bought a little head of it for myself.

This is my dinner tonight:

That's a dessert size plate by the way. Don't want you all thinking I'm gorging myself out on a big ass plate full of the stuff. I like it but come on.


Cabbage with Onions & Bacon
(another thrown together recipe by Lisa)

4 slices of bacon, chopped
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 small head of cabbage, sliced in thin strips
salt, pepper, butter

Chop the bacon and cook it in a heavy pot until it is brown and crispy. Remove from the pan.

At this point I had a little too much bacon grease for my liking so I sopped some of it up with a paper towel and tossed it. If you like lots of bacon grease then by all means leave it in, but your heart will breathe a little easier if you take a smidgen out.

Add the onion and cook until it is just about caramelized. Add in the sliced cabbage. I cover the pan for about 5 minutes to let the cabbage steam a bit, then I remove the cover, throw in about 2 tablespoons of butter and salt & pepper it. Let it get nice and brown, stirring occasionally. Throw the bacon back in right before you serve it.

DELICIOUS!! I love me a plate full of fried cabbage.

Time to go take my gas pills!

No comments: